Throughout this course, students will discover the various ways marketing and advertising touch their lives. Students will learn to identify customers' desires and discover what is needed to create, advertise, and sell products to fit these needs. The course guides students to develop the skills they need as consumers and advertisers. Also, it will provide a solid foundation for those students contemplating careers in marketing, advertising, or other business-related fields.
Unit 1: Essential Content and Skills
- Examine marketing functions.
- Identify the types of economic systems.
- Define the role of business in society.
- Examine effective communications.
- Analyze positive working relationships.
Unit 2: Essential Content and Skills
- Analyze the nature and scope of the selling function.
- Identify key factors in building a clientele.
- Analyze technology to use in the sales function.
- Develop sales promotion plans.
- Explore the types of advertising media.
- Analyze the components of advertising.
Unit 3: Essential Content and Skills
- Analyze fundamental information about channels of distribution.
- Examine physical distribution.
- Identify the duties of organizational buyers, both in the industrial market and the reseller market.
- Explore the key functions in the distribution system of stock handling and inventory control.
- Determine costs of products.
- Analyze the need for marketing information.
Unit 4: Essential Content and Skills
- Analyze how businesses plan what products to produce and sell.
- Identify the scope of branding in product planning.
- Explore the various types of warranties and credit offerings provided by businesses to support products and services.
- Identify the process of starting and managing a business.
- Explore the economic, natural, and human risks inherent in business ownership, as well as the steps business owners take to reduce and manage risk through careful planning.
- Identify capital needs for a business and develop a financial plan that will meet those needs
- Glencoe Marketing Essentials (textbook)