Introduction to College Writing is designed for students who wish to pursue a post-secondary education. After successfully completing this course, students will be prepared for freshman composition. The skills covered in this course will provide a foundation for basic college writing. The primary focus is on informative and persuasive writing with attention to theses, organization, paragraphs, argumentative theories, research techniques, citation, and style. Besides the traditional essay genre, writing technique and etiquette in real-world applications such as abstracts, memos, and e-mail, as well as in other content areas, are practiced throughout.
It is recommended that students successfully complete English 10 or equivalent course work before enrolling in this course.
Unit 1: Essential Content and Skills
- Examine the principles of audience and purpose.
- Explore the writing process.
- Practice revision and proofreading skills.
- Write and organize effective paragraphs.
- Develop critical thinking and critical reading skills.
- Critically respond to a text.
Unit 2: Essential Content and Skills
a technique for answering essay test questions.
- Examine the argumentative writing process.
- Write a thesis statement.
- Examine the elements of effective paragraph writing.
- Identify incorrect word usage.
- Apply writing skills to a science topic.
- Explore the informative writing process.
Unit 3: Essential Content and Skills
- Practice writing concise sentences.
- Demonstrate a critical approach to argumentative writing.
- Identify and correct problems with parallelism.
- Write using variety and emphasis.
- Analyze a short work of fiction.
- Create an effective thesis statement for literary analysis.
Unit 4: Essential Content and Skills
- Conduct research using various resources.
- Write a focused thesis statement.
- Outline and organize content.
- Draft a research paper.
- Revise for proper MLA documentation.
- Revise for effective sentences and paragraphs.
- Proofread research writing.
- Simon & Schuster Handbook for Writers (textbook)
*Available as an iText course