Applied Mathematics Part 1 covers the fundamental mathematics necessary for students to obtain a broad range of skills. Although problems in this course apply to a variety of areas, the emphasis has been given to applications in the building construction field.
It is recomended that students successfully complete Pre-Algebra or equivalent course work before enrolling in this course.
Unit 1: Essential Content and Skills
- Identify whole numbers and round them to a given place value.
- Determine place value of numerals.
- Solve problems using the proper order of operations.
- Solve numbers using a calculator.
- Identify equivalent fractions and use the fraction key on a calculator.
- Find the Lowest Common Denominator (LCD) of two or more non-zero denominators.
- Solve fractions and mixed numbers and reduce to lowest terms.
Unit 2: Essential Content and Skills
- Identify the place value of a decimal number and round decimal numbers to a specified place.
- Solve decimal numbers.
- Enumerate by powers of 10.
- Convert fractions and decimal numbers with and without a calculator.
- Solve problems involving units of length and unit conversions.
- Convert from one unit of length to an equivalent unit.
- Tabulate addition and subtraction problems involving mixed units.
Unit 3: Essential Content and Skills
- Convert from one unit of area and volume to another, and convert rates from one unit to another.
- Identify and express ratios in several forms.
- Solve problems involving ratios, and simplify them and solve for the unknown in a proportion.
- Convert decimals to fractions and fractions to decimals.
- Analyze percent problems and solve percent word problems.
- Identify different types of angles and congruent and similar triangles.
- Calculate right triangles using the Pythagorean Theorem.
Unit 4: Essential Content and Skills
- Find the perimeters and areas of triangles.
- Identify quadrilaterals and analyze composite figures.
- Calculate the circumference and area of a circle.
- Find the area of a regular octagon.
- Discover the volume, lateral surface area, and total surface area of rectangular solids, right prisms, and right cylinders.
- Evaluate the lateral surface area of cones and the volume and surface area of spheres and composite shapes.
- Mathematics for Carpentry and Construction Trades (textbook)
- TI-36X Solar (calculator)
*Available as an iText course (includes calculator)