In Practical Math Part 1, students will learn valuable math concepts that they will use in their daily lives. They will learn addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of whole numbers, as well as fractions and decimals. This course will also teach students how to work with ratios, proportions, and percents. Throughout the course, word problems will relate concepts to practical solutions. This course covers basic math skills, placing a strong emphasis on practice and application.
Unit 1: Essential Content and Skills
- Demonstrate the ability to convey whole numbers in standard, written, and expanded form.
- Apply knowledge to add, subtract, multiply, and divide whole numbers, and practice solving word problems.
- Apply knowledge of rounding whole numbers to estimate the answer to an addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division problem.
- Break down numbers with exponents and write numbers in exponential notation.
- Break down expressions using the rules of the order of operations.
- Find all of the factors of a number and write a number as a product of only prime numbers.
- Find the Least Common Multiple (LCM) and the Greatest Common Factor (GCF) of two or more numbers.
Unit 2: Essential Content and Skills
- Apply knowledge of fractions to convert improper fractions into mixed numbers, and vice versa.
- Demonstrate the ability to write fractions in simplest form, write equivalent fractions, and find the common denominator of unlike fractions.
- Solve fractions and mixed numbers.
- Find the reciprocal of a number.
- Identify the order relationship between two fractions.
- Break down fractions raised to a power.
- Use the order of operations on fractions that combine two or more operations.
Unit 3: Essential Content and Skills
- Apply knowledge of place value in order to read and write decimal numbers in word form and in standard form.
- Apply knowledge of rounding whole numbers in order to round a decimal to a given place value.
- Apply knowledge of the addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of decimals to solve mathematical and real-world problems.
- Apply knowledge of fractions and decimals to compare and order a set of fractions and decimals.
- Solve mathematical and real-world problems involving rates.
- Apply knowledge of ratios to identify proportional relationships between quantities.
- Use knowledge of equivalent fractions and division to write percents as fractions and decimals.
Unit 4: Essential Content and Skills
- Apply knowledge of the basic percent equation to solve mathematical and real-life problems involving percents.
- Translate verbal phrases into algebraic equations to represent a given problem situation.
- Apply knowledge of proportions to solve mathematical and real-life problems involving percents.
- Solve problem situations involving the reading and interpreting of various types of graphs.
- Differentiate mean, median, mode, and range when given a set of data.
- Use the mean, median, mode, and range to analyze and describe a set of data.
- Solve mathematical and real-world situations involving probability.
- Basic College Mathematics: An Applied Approach (textbook)
*Available as an iText course