Physical Science Part 2 is designed to introduce two areas of study - chemistry and physics. The second section of this course entails a concentration on physics. Students will investigate topics involving motion, forces, energy, waves, and electricity. Introduction to Algebra and/or Pre-Algebra is a suggested prerequisite for this course.
It is recommended that students successfully complete Physical Science Part 1 or equivalent course work before enrolling in this course.
Unit 1: Essential Content and Skills
- Compare distance and displacement.
- Contrast speed and velocity.
- Examine acceleration.
- Explore forces and Newton's laws.
force and pressure in fluids.
Unit 2: Essential Content and Skills
- Contrast work and power.
- Analyze simple machines.
- Examine energy conversion.
- Compare energy resources.
- Explore thermal energy properties.
- Investigate methods of heat transfer.
Unit 3: Essential Content and Skills
- Examine the properties and behavior of mechanical waves.
- Investigate the mechanism of sound and hearing.
- Analyze types of electromagnetic waves.
- Compare and contrast wave types.
- Observe the behavior of light and color.
Unit 4: Essential Content and Skills
- Explore properties of mirrors and lenses.
- Examine the properties of optical instruments.
- Explore the eye and vision.
- Investigate electric charge and static electricity.
- Practice using Ohm’s law and identify electric currents.
- Interpret magnetics and magnetic fields.
- Investigate electrical energy generation and transmission.
- Physical Science: Concepts in Action (textbook)
*Available as an iText course