Math 8 Part 1 will explore a variety of concepts such as rational numbers, algebraic equations, graphs and functions, real numbers, exponents, and the coordinate plane. Students will learn to implement real-world applications to the more abstract algebraic concepts found throughout the course. Video tutorials, online math activities, and self-check web quizzes ensure students receive the visual and special instruction necessary to conceptualize these abstract concepts, better preparing them for advanced math courses. This course provides the foundation for Math 8 Part 2.
It is recommended that students successfully complete Math 7 or equivalent course work before enrolling in this course.
Unit 1: Essential Content and Skills
- Use the multiplication and division operation to write
- Apply knowledge of division and Greatest Common Factor to
convert between decimals and fractions in simplest form.
- Compare and order positive and negative rational numbers
expressed as fractions, decimals, and integers.
- Solve mathematical and real-world problem situations
involving multiplying and dividing rational numbers.
- Solve one-step equations involving rational numbers by
adding, subtracting, multiplying, or dividing.
- Employ the inverse operations to solve two-step equations
using the properties of equality.
- Use two-step equations to solve real-life problems.
Unit 2: Essential Content and Skills
- Apply knowledge of the order of operations to determine if an
ordered pair is a solution of an equation.
- Calculate ordered pairs on a coordinate by using x- and
- Find the horizontal and vertical distance between two points
- Determine whether a relation is a function by analyzing a
graph, a table, or an equation.
- Write equivalent numerical expressions using positive and
- Solve mathematical and real-world problems involving numbers
written in scientific notation.
- Apply knowledge of exponents to find the square roots of a
Unit 3: Essential Content and Skills
- Apply the Pythagorean Theorem to discover and use the
distance formula in solving mathematical and real-world problem
- Find equivalent ratios to create proportions and use cross
products to solve proportions.
- Utilize knowledge of rates and unit rates to solve
mathematical and real-world problem situations.
- Use ratios and proportions to identify if two figures are
- Solve mathematical and real-world problems involving similar
figures by finding actual lengths and areas.
- Find dimensions of scale drawings and models by using ratios
- Solve problems involving scale drawings by computing actual
lengths and areas.
Unit 4: Essential Content and Skills
- Apply knowledge of similar figures to identify and create
dilations of plane figures.
- Identify parallel and perpendicular when given a geometric
- Classify quadrilaterals according to their characteristics
- Apply knowledge of average to find the midpoint of segments
in the coordinate plane.
- Transform plane figures using translations, rotations, and
- Apply knowledge of transformations to identify similarity
transformations and congruence transformations.
- Use knowledge of similarity and congruence transformations to
determine whether an image is similar or congruent.
McDougal Mathematics (textbook)
*Available as an iText course