Social Studies 7 Part 1 will encourage students to think like geographers by teaching them to study the Earth according to the five themes of geography. Students will use these themes to determine where something is located, such as a region, an ethnic group, a landform, or a trade route, and they will determine why these things can be found in particular places. The answers to these basic questions will also equip students to more fully understand the geography, history, culture, regions, and contemporary issues facing the people of the Americas, Europe, and Russia.
Unit 1: Essential Content and Skills
- Explain what geography is by examining the components that comprise geography.
- Discuss the Five Themes of Geography.
- Describe the Six Essential Elements of Geography.
- Examine the impact of landforms on life.
- Examine the differences between weather and climate.
- Analyze the interaction of wind and water, and the impact of each on Earth.
- Examine the unique circumstances surrounding mountains and the weather they experience.
Unit 2: Essential Content and Skills
- Examine population patterns throughout the world by investigating worldwide population distributions.
- Explore the process through which economists study the economies of the world.
- Investigate the natural resources to which the United States has access.
- Examine the physical features of Canada.
- Examine the physical features of Mexico by exploring the variety of terrains in this country.
- Examine the government and economy of Mexico by exploring details of each and how they function.
Unit 3: Essential Content and Skills
- Explore the physical features of Central America and the Caribbean.
- Investigate the resources that Central America and the Caribbean have to offer.
- Analyze the Caribbean today by examining the present statuses of its countries.
- Examine the physical features of Caribbean South America.
- Examine the history and culture of Venezuela.
- Analyze the physical features of Atlantic South America.
- Explore the history of Brazil by examining events that led to its creation and its progress through current times.
Unit 4: Essential Content and Skills
- Examine Italy’s history by exploring the various events that took place in its past.
- Analyze Spain and Portugal’s history by exploring the varied events.
- Examine the physical features of West-Central Europe.
- Explore the culture of France by examining French art, traits, customs, and architecture.
- Explore the modern-day Benelux countries.
- Holt McDougal World Geography (textbook)
*Available as an iText course