Science 6 Part 1 will engage students in the intriguing world of science. The students will become mini-scientists while investigating and gaining knowledge of important topics in science, such as the classification of animals and their unique behaviors, the planet Earth and its fascinating features, and the constructive and destructive forces that affect our planet. The use of fun-filled labs and enticing videos will help students extend their knowledge and enhance their understanding of their surroundings. Sixth grade science is a stepping stone in science education that will strengthen students' foundation of scientific awareness. This will also help students appreciate the exciting world of science around them. This course includes online lessons, textbook reading, and a science kit.
It is recommedned that students possess a solid understanding of the concepts covered in fifth grade science before enrolling in this course.
Unit 1: Essential Content and Skills
- Identify the classifications, behaviors, and physics of animal life.
- Investigate ways to determine the true meaning of the term “animal.”
- Determine the levels in the classification of animals.
- Recognize patterns of behavior in animals.
- Explain why insects are important to their environment.
- Compare and contrast different species of insects.
Unit 2: Essential Content and Skills
- Name the characteristics of various vertebrates and mammals.
- Compare and contrast different types of animal life.
- Determine how many types of animal life survive and interact within the environment.
- Identify how adaptations relate to survival.
- Identify instincts and behavior in relation to animal survival.
Unit 3: Essential Content and Skills
- Explain topography of an area and identify the main landforms.
- Learn about the many aspects of Earth through scientific theories.
- Explore the effects of weathering and erosion.
- Identify the importance of soil conservation.
- Discover how maps and computers assist with scientific learning.
Unit 4: Essential Content and Skills
- Explore the effects of erosion and deposition on the Earth.
- Recognize that mass movements can drastically alter Earth’s surface.
- Explore the work of geologists and their theories about early Earth.
- Identify fossils and their link to discovering the past.
- Explore the geologic time scale and how it works.
- Science Explorer (textbook)
- Science 6 Kit
*Available as an iText course (includes Science 6 Kit)